Monday, June 6, 2011

Mompos Adventure

Hello Readers!

Have you ever admired an article of clothing to the point where you imagined yourself wearing that clothing, imagined the places where you would wear that item of clothing, and even imagined what you could accomplish while wearing that particular item?

Yes? OK, then we are in good company!

For me this spring, the item of clothing of which I speak is the Mompos Dress from Plenty! by Tracy Reese, available at Anthropologie.  I first saw it in the catalogue, then pined over the pictures on Anthropologie's website, then heard and saw the buzz on the blogosphere, and then tried on the dress on a visit to Woodfield Mall with my mom.  In person, this dress did not disappoint- but the dress' price tag was a bit too high for me to purchase that day (my new job doesn't start officially until August).  So, even though I fell even more in love with the dress, I walked away.

In the dressing room at Woodfield Mall's Anthropologie
On Memorial Day, something wonderful happened.  I was checking out the latest listings on Effortless Anthropologie's Trade Market (the Looking to Sell/Trade section) and I found a kind seller who was selling their Mompos dress (in my very size!) for a price I could afford.  The perfect dress at the perfect price!  My interaction and transaction with the seller was pleasant and smooth and I received the dress in time for my cousin's wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Friday night (thank you Sarah- it arrived on Wednesday!).

Here are a couple of pictures of the dress:

Me and my cousin Liz at her rehearsal dinner!

I paired the dress with a black cardigan from Zara, a navy belt from an Abercrombie & Fitch shirt, black satin heels from White House Black Market and a black flowery headband from J. Crew.  Liz is wearing a dress she bought during her bachelorette party in Las Vegas .

As I was wearing the dress on Friday night (and again yesterday, hehe), I wondered "what does Mompos mean?"  It sounds Spanish, but I've never heard the word until I learned of this dress.  I did a bit of investigation on the Internet and I found out that  it is the name of an old city in Colombia (on the map it is spelled Mompox).  According to Lonely Planet, it was founded in 1537 ad became a bustling port city, but slowed down at the end of the 19th century with the change of trading routes.  From the pictures I've seen, it looks like a beautiful city with a lot of history.  They are also known for their Semana Santa festivities.  I'm not sure if I'll ever make it to Mompox (it is a difficult place to get to) but at the very least I can enjoy photos of the city (and so can you!)  Enjoy!

semana_santa_en_mompox.jpg
semana_santa_en_mompox.jpg

reflejoMompox.jpg
reflejoMompox.jpg
santa-cruz-de-compox-wikimedia.jpg
santa-cruz-de-compox-wikimedia.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment