Friday, December 24, 2010

Tiffany: The Thrifting Treasure




Merry Christmas Eve Readers!

Last Saturday, on my way to Peoria to finish my Christmas shopping, I decided to stop by the Goodwill by the 150 Bridge to look for fabric for my latest idea. You see, readers, lately I've been playing with the idea of picking up my needle and thread again and starting an Etsy store featuring vintage finds and a few creations of my own. This probably won't happen for a while, but I thought I would get a head start on this idea by visiting a possible source of inspiration: a thrift store.

This summer, for my friend Erin's bachelorette party, we went to this Goodwill to find the lovely old dresses that we wore out on the town (because there is so much out-on-the-towning to do in Peoria). And so, yet again I turned to this Goodwill in hopes that I would find another treasure.

And readers, that is EXACTLY what I found. Peeking out from a stuffed rack of clothes I saw a hint of taffeta and a sparkle of sequins. To my great surprise, both of these eye catching details belonged to the same dress. When I removed the hanger and dress from the rack, I was amazed. Before my eyes I saw a finely crafted dress, with what I believe(d) to be handcrafted details. This was no ordinary dress, and I suspect that it's value may well exceed the meager price that I purchased it for at Goodwill.

Behold: my Thrifting Treasure, "Tiffany":

Tiffany, the Thrifting Treasure

A bit more detail. . .

I tried to look for both brands "Isaacson's Atlanta" and "Jeets" but information is still scarce, which makes me think these brands are no longer in business. Do you know anything about them?

Lace and Silk Taffeta- quite eclectic AND elegant, no?

Finely crafted crinoline/netted tulle


And finally, here I am in the dress! The fit isn't quite perfect for me, but when I open my Etsy shop, I am confident that someone else will love it even more than me!


No comments:

Post a Comment