Saturday, October 22, 2011

Delicious Results! Messy Processes...

Hello again Readers!

Lately, I've been in the mood to cook. This is odd, you see, because usually I do not like to cook. Baking, in my experience, has been more of an exact science. Measuring amounts, mixing and mashing just so, carefully watching everything cook until it is exactly done- oh yes, and eating something sweet after the whole experience is over. Yes, readers, baking I understand- but cooking, while still a science in and of itself is a completely different experience.

Cooking is messy. Cooking can be unpredictable. Cooking involves guesswork. Because of these factors, I have, for the most part, avoided cooking.

But you see, I've slowly begun to realize that cooking is a part of growing up- unless a life of lean cuisines, frozen pizzas, salads, and soups is what you desire. Tonight I broadened my horizons by trying my hand (free-hand- no recipe, btw) at parsnip and carrot patties.

The result: I learned that guessing, messing, and testing isn't always such a bad thing. Sometimes, these processes involved with cooking can result in delicious finishings!

My finished product was not as beautiful as Whole Foods' version (wherefrom this recipe is inspired). Here it is!

Yum!

And here are pictures that narrate how I ended at this result:

Ingredients: 1 peeled parsnip, 4 baby carrots, 1/2 of an onion (I recommend 1/4), 1 egg, 2 seconds of olive oil spray,  Kashi Pita Chips (approximately 1 cup of crumbs), dash of salt, pinch of pepper.
I grated 1 parsnip, 4 baby carrots, and 1/4 of an onion and chopped 1/4 of an onion, added 1/4 cup (approximately) of pita bread crumbs, a dash of salt and a pinch of pepper
Then I mixed these ingredients with my hands (messy!) and created 5 patties
Then, I prepared 3 bowls for dipping- 1 of whole grain flour (1st station), 1 of 1 whisked egg (station 2), and 1 of 3/4 cup of pita bread crumbs (approximately) 
The aftermath- not too bad!
Whoops! Evidence of the scorching... I think it will come out!
They look delicious, don't they? A bit different in appearance than their Whole Foods counterparts, but almost as delicious!
I used too much heat and scorched a few patties... Next time I will use a lower heat
Have you ever made these before? Do you have any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment