Sunday, April 24, 2011

Next to Normal

Hello Again Bloggers!

Originally I planned to drive home for Easter Break on Wednesday, but had to delay my plans because I came down with a migraine/throbbing headache earlier in the day.  Thankfully, my Public Speaking students were giving speeches, so I did not have to stand up or talk very much.  After I taught I went back to my apartment, shut all of the blinds, took medicine, and went to sleep.  When I woke up, I determined that it was too late to drive home and that driving 3 hours with a headache probably wasn't the best idea. So what did I do instead?

I went to a musical at The Fox!

The current musical playing at the Fox (I think the 24th was the last night), is called Next to Normal.  I didn't know very much about the show, but I heard positive reviews from various people on campus and on The Fabulous Fox's website, I saw that the musical and the lead of the musical were both award-winners.

I tried to sneak a picture of the set! It was a three-story cross section of a house and the band was on the sides of the second and third level.
This was the second time that I attended a show at the Fox alone- which sounds terrible but I actually enjoyed it!  Yes, I would rather go with friends and share the experience with them, but going alone affords the luxury of spontaneity (I bought the tickets 3 hours before the show), and alone I felt like I was able to connect with the show even more.  I was more aware of my fellow audience members, more aware of little things on stage (the set was amazing!), and more entrenched in the story.

The story, I felt, was written well, and each of the leads were excellent actors who played roles that were believable and vulnerable. Most of the singing was great, except for the lead, played by Alice Ripley (who won a Tony award for this role).  She did such a great job acting the part of Diana, but when she sang her voice revealed what sounded like a lot of damage.  The night of the show, her voice was flat and sounded ridden with vocal nodes.  It was painful to listen to, and I imagine that it was painful for her to sing.  I really hope that she is able to rest her voice and get better soon!

So- what did I wear to the show?



Retail Details:
Off-White Cardigan: Abercrombie & Fitch
Beaded Leather Belt: Anthropologie
Green Silk Strapless Dress (with a bubble hem): Banana Republic
Off-White and Beige Spectators: Seychelles

No comments:

Post a Comment